I actually hate being alone. What I mean is, I enjoy my alone time but hate being alone. Make sense?
I remember back in middle school and high school I would literally refuse to do things alone. I never wanted to go to the bathroom alone, go to summer camp without at least one friend, and forget trying go somewhere new that I’d never been before by myself. If I was going to do something, it was going to be with someone else.
Okay so I’ve evolved a little since then. I’ve grown. Are there still things I don’t like doing alone? Hell yeah there is. But I’m working on it.
I’m learning to be by myself. My entire life, I’ve constantly jumped from one relationship to the next, with very little time in between. I’m not used to being by myself. I’m used to always having someone around. More than learning to be alone, I’m now trying to teach myself how to be OKAY with being alone. I hate it to be honest. But this is a marathon, not a sprint right? We take things day by day. I’m pushing myself to learn new things and truly find out who I am and what I want out of life. I’m learning how to make myself happy, rather than just pleasing the person I am with and forgetting about myself. This is me taking time for me. And you taking time for you.
Doing things alone can really teach you lot about yourself, especially when you’re completely out of your comfort zone. My comfort zone is a 3 ft. x 3 ft. box that I hate stepping out of. But every time I do, I’m happy that I did. I’ve never regretted it. So here’s to stepping outside of our comfort zones and learning to be happy (and alone)!
I’ve come up with a list of 25 things to do by yourself. These are just a few ideas I’ve come up with that I plan to take on for myself. Each time you complete one, cross it off and add your own to the list!
- Go for a hike.
- Spend the day in a bookstore.
- Take yourself out for breakfast.
- Take a yoga class.
- Wake up early and watch the sunrise.
- Do something you’ve never done before (or are scared to do).
- Go for a long evening drive.
- Travel somewhere you’ve never been for the day.
- Start a new DIY project.
- Go to a new workout class.
- Reorganize a room in your house.
- Treat yourself to a spa day out.
- Have a spa pamper night at home (check out this post)
- Go stargazing.
- See a movie in the middle of the day.
- Get a makeover at a beauty store.
- Cook a new recipe.
- Take up a new hobby.
- Spend the day in a museum.
- Go for a long run outside.
- Eat an entire pizza.
- Complete a random act of kindness.
- Participate in a local race.
- Volunteer for a cause that you believe in.
- Go to Church.
I’ve included a printable checklist below. Print it out and keep it with you, or Pin it and save it for later!
What things do you like to do by yourself? Let me know in the comments below.